STEVE CRANDALL, FOUNDING PARTNER, CPW LAW
AN EXPERIENCED TRIAL ATTORNEY FOR WHEN THE RESULTS MATTER
Steve Crandall has been ranked as one of the Top 10 Attorneys in Ohio in both 2012 and 2017, as well as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Ohio continuously since 2009. An AV-Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell (their highest rating), named as one of the “Best Attorneys” by US News & World Report for a number of years, and also ranked as one of the Top 5 Attorneys in Cleveland, Steve has attained numerous multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. The objective Attorney rating service, Avvo, has judged Steve Crandall to be a “pro” with a perfect 10/10 ranking, with one of the highest caches of client reviews on their rating scale. A respected lecturer, including recent presentations at both the Ohio State Bar Association and the Ohio Association for Justice annual conventions, Steve Crandall is synonymous with extraordinary results. He has taken over a hundred cases to verdict and has amassed some of the most impressive results in the history of Ohio, including:
- $20M settlement for a personal injury case
- $10M verdict in Lucas County for a surgical error
- $8.5M settlement in Hamilton County for failure to diagnose an infection
- $7.7M verdict against the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cuyahoga County for an eye injury
- $5.5M settlement in Huron County for a commercial trucking accident
- $4.65M settlement for a birth trauma case
- $4.6M settlement for the death of a mother during delivery
- $4.5M settlement for a child brain damaged during a radiology study
Many of Steve’s cases either were, or still are, the largest verdicts in history in Allen, Lake, Franklin, Lucas and Miami counties. His aggressive advocacy also led to that $20 million settlement for a truck accident case – the largest known settlement amount for a personal injury matter in Ohio’s history.
When you hire Steve, he will establish your faith in having an attorney represent you. Please review just how strong a bond Steve forms with his clients by reading their own words about him here. When you hire Steve, he is available for your questions, provides full analysis and a roadmap on what to expect and often remains in touch with his clients long after their cases have concluded.
A UNIQUE PERSPECTIVE ON MEDICAL MALPRACTICE AND INJURY LAW
Steve Crandall started his career on the other side of the aisle: defending doctors, healthcare facilities and trucking companies facing liability claims. Steve tried dozens of cases on behalf of the defense; he met with defense clients, insurance adjusters and management executives as they conspired together to win their cases against injured parties, at all cost.
Why did he leave this side of the law? Because as Steve became a more effective and experienced trial lawyer for the defense, it was evident he was representing a defendant who had clearly wronged an injured person/their family and was merely trying to escape liability. In 2001, Steve changed the focus of his practice to solely representing people who were injured or killed through the negligence of a hospital, physician, commercial trucking company or other personal injury accident.
In hiring Steve, you are not only hiring a nationally recognized trial attorney, but one with the knowledge and experience of how your opponent, the defense, will try to beat your case. This unique perspective allows him to build your case to not only win you the largest compensation you deserve, but also in a way that anticipates how the defense will attempt to beat you. In short, Steve knows the game the defense will try to play and is the best at beating them at their own game.
Steve Crandall is fully licensed in Ohio and Kentucky, as well as having participated in cases in The Ohio Supreme Court, various Appellate Courts in Ohio and the United States Federal Court, Northern District.
FAMILY AND COMMUNITY
When he’s not in the office, Steve spends his time with his wife and five children and visiting his close-knit family who are spread throughout upstate New York and Ohio. Steve volunteers his time coaching his kids in various sports each year and watching his beloved and “World Champion” Cleveland Cavaliers. Because he believes that everyone should do their part to strengthen the community, Steve participates in numerous public service projects at his children’s schools and on behalf of EndDistractedDriving.org.
STEVE CRANDALL’S RESUME
- Ohio, 1994
- Kentucky, 2011
- J.D., University of Dayton School of Law, 1994
- B.A., Political Science, Nazareth College, 1990
Honors and Awards
- US News & World Report’s Best Lawyers®, Cleveland, 2015-2017
- Lawyer of the Year, Plaintiff’s Medical Malpractice, 2017
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, “10 Best” in Ohio, 2014-2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers, “Top 100″ Attorney in Ohio, 2009-2015
- Ohio Super Lawyers, “Top 10″ Attorney in Ohio, 2012 and 2017
- Ohio Rising Star-Top Lawyers Under Age 40, 2005
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2008- 2015
- Cleveland Magazine, “Top 50″ Attorney, 2008-2015
- Cleveland Magazine, “Top 5″ Attorney, 2010 and 2012
- Platinum Member of “Elite Lawyers of America,” denoting the top 1% of lawyers in the U.S.
- Martindale-Hubbell 5.0/5.0, “Pre-eminent Lawyer” rating, the highest rating available
- COM rating of 10/10 and listed as an AVVO “Pro”
Memberships and Certifications
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- The National Trial Lawyers, Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Cleveland Academy of Trial Lawyers, Board Member, 2009-2015
- Ohio Association of Justice, Member
- District Representative, 2009
- Life Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life member
- Elite Lawyers of America, Platinum Member
- End Distracted Driving, various schools in Northeast Ohio for EndDD.org, 2015
- “Expert Witness Presentation at Trial,” annual convention of the Ohio State Bar, 2013
- “Medical Malpractice Trial Tactics” for Cleveland Marshall School of Law, 2011
- Annual Winter Conference on Clinical Issues in OB/GYN, 2008
- Annual National Conference on Fetal Monitoring, 2005-2007
- “How to Win a Civil Trial”
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys
* Kentucky does not certify specialties in legal fields.